Mining and adventure drew many people to Southwest Wisconsin in the 1820s and 1830s. Some of the early pioneers were Catholic. The Diocese of Dubuque was formed in 1837 with Reverend Matthias Loras as the bishop. Father Samuel Mazzuchelli, a Dominican priest, worked with Bishop Loras in establishing Catholic communities around the tri-state area. There were no church buildings yet so he met with the faithful Catholics who would gather in someone’s home. The priest would perform all needed Sacraments and bless the graves of the deceased as he moved from community to community. In 1840, Bishop Loras assigned his newly ordained priests, Fathers Remigius Petiot and James Causse, to minister to the Catholics of Southwest Wisconsin. Father Causse was assigned to Saint Thomas in Potosi. In October 1842, Saint Mary’s parish was officially formed as a parish mission of Potosi. Father Causse would service the Platteville area Catholics as well. In 1843, Saint Mary’s built its first church structure at the northwest corner of Cedar Street and North Court Street in Platteville. The land was sold to the Catholics by Major John Rountree for $1. It was 24 feet by 36 feet. A simple iron cross, designed by Father Mazzuchelli sat on top of the church. Father Carlos De Vivaldi was Saint Mary’s first resident pastor in 1856. Father Philip Albrecht arrived at Saint Mary’s in 1868. He quickly observed that the original church was too small for the growing Catholic community. Father Albrecht had the 1843 church moved and a new brick church was built. It was dedicated in November 1871. Many priests were assigned to Saint Mary’s over the years. In 1898, Father Francis Lillis came to Saint Mary’s and stayed for 35 years. He was very loved by the community. He built a new rectory in 1898. He expanded the church in 1908. Father Lillis also purchased adjacent land to build a Catholic school. Saint Mary’s Catholic School was built and opened October 21, 1935, under the guidance of Father Francis Gray. Saint Mary’s Catholic community and school continued to grow throughout the 1940s,1950s, and 1960s under Father John DeRocher. Father DeRocher was instrumental in building an addition to the school, upgrading the convent for the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration’s convent, and finally built a third Saint Mary’s Church building. This was completed in July 1966. The parish continued to grow throughout the rest of the 20th century. Saint Mary’s School sadly closed in 2012. In 2023, harkening back to the earliest days of the area, the Saint Mary’s Catholic Community was linked with other parishes of Southwest Wisconsin with four ministering priests. Because of the significance of Father Samuel Mazzuchelli’s work with most of the parishes, our pastorate was named St. Dominic’s Pastorate. Father Greg Ihm was named the pastor with Fathers Dave Flannegan, Peter Aure, and Bernie Rott assisting him. Upon the retirements of Fathers Aure, Flannegan and Rott, Fathers Tom Kelley and Joseph Bellamkonda were assigned by the Diocese of Madison to assist Father Ihm.